Friday, March 6, 2009

Wrap Up

This week, Lucy finished up her 8 weeks of soccer practice. She has come quite a long way in that time, but we won't be looking towards the Olympics just yet. I felt bad that 4 out of the 8 weeks she had a cold and just couldn't muster up much energy for playing soccer. Even after weeks and weeks, she still mostly avoided the other kids (and the coach - on the last day her coach said "Hi Lucy" as we were lacing up her shoes and she said nothing. I told her, "Lucy, you should say hi" and she whispered, "Mom, I'm just nervous around people I don't know", to which I responded, "You DO know her...she's your coach!"). Anyway...she had fun. She got to play goalie this week, which she enjoyed because it meant she didn't have to run, (she actually laid down or sat most of the time she was in there) and she was able to avoid the other kids. No one scored while she was in net either. Her favorite part, I think, was the drink break, where all the kids would line up at the door and march down the hallway to the water fountain singing, "The Ants go Marching One by One". We've decided to enroll the kids into gymnastics in April. This way, they can both participate, and it's a little more free-form, so Lucy will be able to 'dance' and make it look like she's doing gymnastics. I'm sure it was killing Max every week to see her half-heartedly participate, when he was just dying to get out there and play too. At the end of the program, the kids were each presented with a metal for participation. Lucy likes jewelry, so she enjoyed this part. We took a quick picture with the team and the two coaches...it's hard to get a good shot of that many people. Especially when the majority of them are under 4 years old. I'm proud of Lucy for sticking it out though and finishing what she started. She has learnt some good skills, and we'll try again next year. But we've decided to forgo outdoor soccer for this season. I don't think I could handle trying to encourage her to get in there, and ask Max to stay put 2-nights a week for 4 months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucy is so cute!

I'm glad to see that she enjoyed soccer in her own way. I've thought about putting my kids in soccer so it's nice to read about your own experience.